Sep 23, 2012

Book Review: Existence - Abbi Glines

Title: Existence (Existence Trilogy #1) - Abbi Glines
Release Date: December 12th 2011
Publisher: Wild Child Publishing
Pages: n/a (ebook)
What happens when you're stalked by Death? You fall in love with him, of course.
Pagan Moore doesn't cheat Death, but instead, falls in love with him.
Seventeen year old Pagan Moore has seen souls her entire life. Once she realized the strangers she often saw walking through walls were not visible to anyone else, she started ignoring them. If she didn't let them know she could see them, then they left her alone. Until she stepped out of her car the first day of school and saw an incredibly sexy guy lounging on a picnic table, watching her with an amused smirk on his face. Problem is, she knows he's dead.
Not only does he not go away when she ignores him, but he does something none of the others have ever done. He speaks. Pagan is fascinated by the soul. What she doesn't realize is that her appointed time to die is drawing near and the wickedly beautiful soul she is falling in love with is not a soul at all.
He is Death and he's about to break all the rules.
THE COVER  
OOOOOOOOOOH THAT COVER. YES GOOD JOB YES. Pepe Toth is glory personified. And Sztella too, but all we can see here is her back, but hey, it's glorious too, lol. Oh God those eyes. Moving on!

THE STORY
When I read the synopsis, the story intrigued me. Death falling in love? Yes, please. And the fact that the female lead also had a power made it more interesting. There were a lot of surprises in the end, but I felt like a lot of parts could have been cut out to make the pace better. 

THE CHARACTERS
Unfortunately, Pagan's ability to see souls was the only significant thing about her (until we get to book two, but that's got to wait for now). Like most female main characters in YA, she had to be saved several times. I'm all for butt-kicking girls so that weakness always irks me.

Also, even though I swoon every time Dank's in the page, there really wasn't much back-up for their attraction. I won't call it insta-love, though, because Pagan certainly wanted Dank gone at first, thinking he's just another ghost. But I can't blame Pagan because if I were her, I'd fall in love with Dank, too... especially if he looked like Pepe Toth. Moving on!

MY FAVORITE PART was every time Dank sung. I'm a sucker for guys who sing and play the guitar. And the author's friend (I think?) recorded Dank's songs. Here are links to Closer and, my personal favorite, Yet You Stay.

RATING: 3/5
(photo and summary from Goodreads.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments so post away! <3

Also, I appreciate the thought but this is now an award- and tag-free zone :D